Castile soap! A vegan warrior’s delight. An all-purpose gentle soap that you can use as a shampoo, body soap, laundry detergent, pet soap and even as a toilet bowl cleaner! So what makes this soap so special and why should we be interested.
What is Castile Soap?
Castile soap is a soap made from all-natural vegetable-based ingredients that is biodegradable and non-toxic. Unlike the traditional soaps we know that uses lard or tallow, Castile soaps are completely free from any type of animal fat. It’s purely vegan and cruelty-free! In addition to this, Castile soaps do not contain any kind of synthetic ingredients such as parabens, artificial scents or coloring.
Everything that’s in Castile soaps are natural oils. Back in the day, they traditionally used only olive oil in making Castile soaps. However, to cater to more specific needs, some Castile soaps now contain oils extracted from avocado, tea tree, walnut, coconut, and hemp seed. Some even use less common, but very antioxidant-rich oils like moringa and raspberry seed.
Castile soaps are also deemed to be a very exciting choice not just for vegans and vegetarians, but also for the environment-conscious. As the soap is biodegradable and very versatile, you can minimize plastic consumption by not needing to buy different cleansing agents for different purposes. Castile soaps can do all that for you!
Types of Castile Soap
There are two common variations of Castile soap – liquid and bar type. There isn’t much of a difference as the performance is the same. It’s just a personal preference. Some people just love soap bars!
Liquid Castile Soap – as liquid soaps naturally contains more water, the only difference this makes is the consistency. Many prefer liquid Castile soaps for dishwashing and glass cleaning as it leaves no solid residues.
Castile Bar Soap – for the soap to solidify and turn into a bar, palm oil is used. Due to this additional natural emollient, the soap may be slightly more moisturizing.
How to Use Castile Soap
- Facial Wash – Castile soaps are made from purely natural ingredients so it’s very mild enough for the skin. If you have sensitive skin or is suffering from acne, you may look for ones with tea tree or avocado oil.
- Body Soap – It has natural antibacterial agents which can also be a great deodorizer. Talk about feeling fresh and clean all day long!
- Shampoo and Conditioner – Liquid Castile soap makes a perfect hair shampoo. Its blend of vegetable oils are both antibacterial and moisturizing enough to cleanse the hair and scalp of excess sebum and dirt.
- Hand soap – You can create a foaming hand wash by mixing Castile soap with water and put it in a hand soap dispenser.
- Shaving Foam – Another great thing about Castile soaps is that they easily lather up into a rich foam. In line with this, it also makes a nice shaving foam that also richly moisturizes the skin as you shave.
- Dishwashing soap – Forget about your dishwashing gloves! Castile soaps will clean your dishes while also being very gentle to your hands. No need to worry about drying your hands up since Castile soap is highly moisturizing.
- Laundry Detergent –Depending on the amount of your laundry load, you can pour around ½ to 1 cup of Castile soap to your detergent compartment to give your clothes a nice, equal wash. While many Castile soaps are unscented, some feature natural fragrances like lavender and jasmine if you want to add refreshing scents to your clothes.
- All-purpose House Cleaner – From cleaning your windows, floors and even toilet, Castile soap has all the essential vegetable oils to give your home a squeaky clean finish. It can also be mixed with a few ounces of water to make the consistency suitable for spraying.
- For Fruit and Vegetable Rinse – As Castile soaps are purely made from edible oils, they can also cleanse fruits and vegetables without worries of chemical contamination. A quarter teaspoon of soap mixed with a bowl of water is enough to give your fruits and veggies a nice, clean rinse.
- Teeth Cleaner – Yes, it can be used as your daily toothpaste as well! If you are familiar with oil pulling using coconut oil, the principle is pretty much the same – just without the greasy feel, of course!
- Pet Soap – Just as how gentle it is for human hair, Castile soaps also make a gentle body soap for our little furry friends. It features conditioning and cleansing oils to free our pets from bacteria. Just make sure to use the unscented ones since some types of essential oils may be too harsh for animals.
- Makeup Brush Cleaner – Mix a cup of water with a half a teaspoon of Castile soap and you can easily make a makeup brush cleaner of your own. As Castile soap is very gentle, you can freely soak your delicate makeup brushes in your solution for around 10 to 15 minutes without damaging your brushes.
Health and Skin Benefits of Castile Soap?
Castile soaps are quite versatile and customizable. Depending on your personal skin concerns, you may opt for types that feature certain types of natural oils to suit your needs. While Castile soap is a very powerful cleansing agent that easily gets rid of dirt and bacteria, it is also equally gentle for our health and skin. It doesn’t contain synthetic chemicals that will strip the natural moisture from the skin, instead it may help retain more moisture thanks to its natural emollients.
For skin, it helps exfoliate dead skin cells without irritating the skin with grits or stripping chemicals. Its all-natural saponified oils will even provide protection for the skin thanks to its rich antioxidants and vitamins A and E content. This is also a great alternative for those with skin conditions like rosacea, eczema and psoriasis for Castile soap is not just gentle, but also anti-inflammatory.
In addition, Castile soap is formulated without the going through synthetic chemical processes. It also kills bacteria using natural agents so we don’t have to worry about harsh fumes, which most household disinfectants contain.
Have you tried using Castile soap for your daily cleaning routines? Let us know your take on this versatile soap in the comment section below!